Examination = whole process from submission in December 2015 until Inspector’s Report delivered to PCC.
The examination is all about “Soundness” & the Inspector will decide:
- Does the plan fit other national plans and is it internally consistent?
- Is the plan appropriate for the area in light of evidence?
- Will it deliver? / be effective in achieving its aims?
Appointed: Welsh Planning Inspector (PIN) NICOLA GULLEY; Program Officer (Admin & Go-between) TRACEY SMITH
Next steps & when:
- Documents and Responses Submitted – soon, early December
- Possible Exploratory Meeting, if PIN has doubts re “soundness”, to decide how to proceed – PIN will decide
- Pre-Hearing Meeting, sets out main issues and what needs to be addressed in hearing – early February 2017
- Hearing, PCC & objectors (& their reps – optional) 3-4 days/wk, PIN directs flexible agenda of issues – late March to early May
- PIN writes binding report and it is checked before LDP adoption months – end 2017?
- Welsh Government can interfere if the LDP conflicts with national policy.
- Soundness of Further Focussed Changes could come up at any point between stage1 and end of 4.
- PIN could suspend LDP for 6 months’ more work as happened earlier this year.
- PIN could decide whole LDP cannot be made sound – have to start again from beginning.
- PIN could decide some bits have to go – it’s not at all clear whether some Further Focussed Changes can be retained while ditching others.
This is our understanding of process from the sources below. (best sources *)
- PINS LDP Plan Examination: Procedure Guidance (August 2014)* LINK
- PINS LDPs Preparing for submission (August 2014) LINK
- PINS Guidance for Programme Officers: LDP Examinations (June 2014) LINK
- Welsh Government: Local Development Plan Manual (October 2015)* LINK
- Planning Policy Wales (9) Ch.2 November 2016 LINK